As some of the largest purchasers of goods and services, federal agencies have long been at the forefront of sustainable procurement. Responding to mandates, executive orders, and internal goals, agencies such as the Department of Defense (DoD) and many others have collectively been looking for a method to simplify the sustainable procurement process for federal purchasers and consumers alike. GreenCircle Certified, LLC has developed, and is currently looking for manufacturers to participate in, a Multi-Attribute Label Pilot Program that is being used to connect sustainable product manufacturers with federal purchasers and aid in meeting federal procurement requirements. To learn more about participating in the Multi-Attribute Label Pilot, contact AshLee Eustace, GreenCircle’s Customer Service Administrator, at AshLee@GreenCircleCertified.com or 610-569-1045.
Certified Environmental Facts
Green certifications are often vague or misleading and fail to meet consumer expectations. GreenCircle’s Certified Environmental Facts (CEF) Multi-Attribute certification conveys the total sustainability of a product and operations. Much like a nutrition label, the CEF certification details all necessary environmental information in a straightforward manner. The label includes product attributes and key manufacturing impact reductions, which provides consumers with a comprehensive view of the product’s overall sustainability. Products with the CEF mark can be easily compared to other products to identify the most sustainable option and help consumers make more educated purchasing decisions.
GreenCircle is committed to a holistic approach in the analysis and certification of sustainable products. Sustainability initiatives of a product are reviewed and measured from cradle to grave; manufacturing operations are benchmarked and reductions verified to a baseline year. GreenCircle hopes to help distinguish those manufacturers that have made significant strides for continuous environmental improvements in product design and manufacturing operations.
Benefits of Multi-Attribute Certification:
- Distinguish Your Brand: Today’s educated consumers have become much more selective, and third-party certification can help distinguish your brand as a sustainable option.
- Connect with Customers: The CEF label was designed with simplicity in mind. The information is easy to understand so you can connect with your customers.
- ROI: Return on investment through increased sales in today’s discerning market.
- Demonstrate Brand Integrity: GreenCircle has always certified per plant, per product. This is the most accurate way to reflect the sustainability of a product and assure accountability.
- Green Marketing: 56% of consumers don’t believe that the companies they purchase from will tell the truth about their green products.¹ Third-party validation creates a level of consumer trust that has been lacking in the green marketplace.
- Federal Trade Commission: The FTC has released its updated 2012 Green Guides to prevent unfair or deceptive environmental claims in the marketplace. The Green Guides have established stricter requirements and enforcement guidelines for environmental product claims. GreenCircle certification is consistent with the Green Guides and certifies to FTC standards.
- Green Construction Codes: Current green construction codes, such as the International Green Construction Code (IgCC) and the California Green Construction Code (CALGreen), are requiring builders to use products with recycled content and, in the case of IgCC, that are recyclable. GreenCircle certification can be used as documentation and proof of the recycled content/recyclable content claims of products used in buildings meeting these green building codes.
- LEED Green Building Rating Systems: Products that achieve GreenCircle certification will demonstrate conformance with the Materials and Resources criteria for recycled content and rapidly renewable material for building products, as specified in the USGBC Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating Systems. GreenCircle certification is conducted on a per plant, per product basis in compliance with the USGBC’s LEED Interpretation Ruling regarding recycled content claims. GreenCircle certification is fully recognized by the USGBC and our certificates can be used as documentation within LEED submittals.
- NAHB: A product certified for recycled content and/or bio-based material by GreenCircle can qualify for review and certification as a Green Approved product under the NAHB National Green Building Standard Program (2008). Third-party certification is required in order to get your products listed as Green Approved for recycled content and bio-based material.
- 2012 Cone GreenGap Trend Tracker
For More Information
Email AshLee Eustace to request Our Certification Guidelines: